Boxing April 1; Broner vs Theophane; PBC on Spike

Beersteve

Adrien "The Problem' Broner (31-2; 23KO) vs Ashley "Treasure" Theophane (40-6-1, 11KO)

On paper this is a mismatch. What really is supposed to be a "stay active" fight for Broner now has taken on some new wrinkles. TMZ broke the story last week that Broner had a Ohio statewide warrant for his arrest for aggravated assault and robbery. Apparently, he was doing some high stakes gambling at the bowling alley. He was down in the red, and his opponent did not want to give him a chance to win his money back. So Broner met him outside, knocked the guy out cold, went into his car, grabbed a gun and proceeded to take the money from the guy laying unconscious on the ground.

This happened in January, but the story just broke last week. So, there is that distraction near the end of camp. Next, Broner failed to make the 140 weight limit. He came in 0.4 lbs overweight and failed to appear 2 hours later at the re-weigh. So now, he's had his belt stripped, which Theophane can still win if he beats Broner.

Broner likely will be going to jail sometime between this fight and his next fight (strange how he has a state-wide warrant in Ohio, yet they know he will be in D.C. for this fight...yet he still is allowed to fight). And it may be for quite some time. So with the distraction, not making weight, his belt being stripped, all tells me that he is not really taking this fight that seriously.

I think the books see this too as they dropped him from a -2500 favorite to a -800 favorite. Lesson to be learned, if you see the value you like, jump on it! I thought long and hard about taking Theophane at +1000, but now he is at +500. But I'm still going to take a shot at the dog, who is probably going to giving his best shot tonight.

I honestly don't know a whole lot about Theophane, his list of opponents isn't littered with recognizable names, with a few exceptions. He did give Danny Garcia a tough split decision in 2010, and that is his most notable opponent.

Totally taking a shot by fading the distracted favorite:

Theophane by decision +1100 .5*
Theophane to win +500 1*