Boxing June 17; Ward vs Kovalev II

Beersteve

Andre "S.O.G" Ward (31-0, 15KO; 33 years old) vs Sergey "Krusher" Kovalev (30-1-1, 26 KO; 34 years old)

This is a rematch from last November's controversial unanimous decision victory over Kovalev. Many thought Kovalev, who scored a knockdown against Ward in the 2nd round was the effective aggressor and landed the bigger shots. I scored the fight 114-113 for Ward as did all 3 fight judges. I saw it as a close, somewhat ugly fight between two very contrasting styles. Kovalev gave Ward trouble early on in the fight, backing him up and when Ward went down he was clearly a little frazzled. However as the fight went on Ward adjusted well, and Kovalev started head hunting, looking for the big shot and completely abandoned any work to the body. Ward is much too smart and talented of a fighter to do that to. Ward was able to keep the harder punching Kovalev at bay using his jab, going to the body and tying up (often).

These fighters genuinely don't like each other either. They've exchanged verbal jabs on social media and Ward refused to do any 24/7 or FaceOff appearances on HBO. All of this is head games and I think Ward has won that of the fight. Coming into the fight I think we're going to see Kovalev coming in hot. Knowing he's made Ward taste the mat before, I think he believes he won't be able to win a decision vs Ward (which may be true) and think his only path to victory is to stop Ward. And I think Ward will know this and be prepared. We will probably see a similar style fight as the first one, which was not a work of art my any means. Ward will use the clinch, jab, and work the body and do enough to win on the cards in another unanimous decision.

Andre Ward by decision -125 3*

GL, enjoy the fight.