+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nabokov Info

Default Nabokov Info

News Updated 10/02/02
    The Mercury News reports that Nabokov, an unsigned restricted free agent, has returned to the ice to work with the Sharks' coaching staff, suggesting his contract negotiations are proceeding well. "I wasn't skating five days ago," said Nabokov. "But I was thinking I want to be ready for Opening Night. Whatever happens or doesn't happen, I have to be ready."

While they may make a deal as late as today or as early as tommorrow expect him to be a little rusty at first..

Those thinking on taking SJ tommorrow might be interested in knowing that Shanahan will play but will likely be limited.. Also word out of Detroit is Datsuyk has earned a spot on the power-play line, expect lots outa this kid this year, between him and Zetterberg the Wings look to be a solid solid team this year.. Stevie Y or not..
    —Rogers Hornsby

One of the healthiest ways to gamble is with a spade and a package of garden seeds. ~Dan Bennett~

Bosox/Isles/Phins/Buckeyes/Tarheels

Default CC

thanks for the great info, I have Nabakov in my hockey pool, so I need him signed badly, when do you think he will be signed, and what are the chances of him being signed. Thanks again .

Adding an overall player update to this thread for those interested.. It is geared to my hockey pools!!!

Marcel Hossa, W MTL Updated 10/09/02
    The Canadiens might recall Hossa from Hamilton of the AHL if Randy McKay or Mariusz Czerkawski goes on injured reserve, according to the Montreal Gazette. He had been sent to the minors on Monday. Hossa has minimal Fantasy value outside of keeper leagues.

Mariusz Czerkawski, W MTL Updated 10/09/02
    Czerkawski left Tuesday's practice early with a strained hamstring, according to the Montreal Gazette. He traveled with the team to New York, but his status for Friday's season opener is unclear. You should probably reserve Czerkawski for this week to play it safe.

Randy McKay, W MTL Updated 10/09/02
    The Montreal Gazette reports that McKay is doubtful for Friday's season opener against the Rangers in New York. The team fears that he might have a broken bone in his foot, as he has been limping for two weeks after taking a shot on the foot in an exhibition game. McKay might be placed on injured reserve, and is not a recommended Fantasy player.

Willie Mitchell, D MIN Updated 10/09/02
    The Wild placed Mitchell on injured reserve Tuesday with a strained groin. He might return Friday, but has no Fantasy value.

Kristian Huselius, W FLA Updated 10/09/02
    Huselius (sprained knee) will miss one or two weeks of the regular season, according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. He was placed on injured reserve on Tuesday.

Igor Ulanov, D FLA Updated 10/09/02
    The Panthers sent Ulanov to San Antonio of the AHL on Tuesday. The team will try to trade him, but the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that is an unlikely prospect. Ulanov won't have any Fantasy value even if he winds up on another team.

Olli Jokinen, C FLA Updated 10/09/02
    Panthers coach Mike Keenan plans to use Jokinen on the power play, penalty kill and as his top-line center to start the regular season, according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "I see a lot of potential with him," Keenan said. "When I came here, I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt. All the scouts in the hockey world can't be wrong. I like to give people a chance and I think people deserve more than even a second chance." Jokinen might be worth a reserve spot in a keeper league, but he's a risky starter in year-to-year leagues.

Ales Hemsky, W EDM Updated 10/09/02
    The Oilers plan to skate Hemsky on their first line with Mike Comrie and Ryan Smyth to start the regular season, according to the Edmonton Journal. Hemsky, who logged 97 points in 53 games in the junior leagues last season, had a great preseason and might be worth picking up if he gets off to a hot start in this prominent role in the Edmonton offense.

Brendan Shanahan, W DET Updated 10/09/02
    Shanahan (hip flexor) practiced for a second straight day Tuesday and reported no pain, according to the Detroit News. He is expected to play in Thursday's season opener in San Jose, and should be in your active lineup for this week.

Kirk Maltby, W DET Updated 10/09/02
    Maltby (back) practiced for a second straight day Tuesday with no pain, according to the Detroit News. He is expected to play in Thursday's season opener in San Jose, but has minimal Fantasy value.

Pavel Datsyuk, C DET Updated 10/09/02
    The Detroit Free Press reports that Datsyuk appears to have won a job on the first power-play unit as well as skating on the third line with Brett Hull. Datsyuk should see a fair increase in points with his increased role on the power play, but you should still keep him reserved for the start of the Fantasy season to see how he adjusts to his new duties.

Steve Yzerman, C DET Updated 10/09/02
    Yzerman (knee surgery) has been working out at home and undergoing physical therapy recently, according to the Detroit Free Press. "He's progressing fine," coach Dave Lewis said. "His range of motion on his knee is pretty good, he said. I think he's progressing the way he thought he would." Yzerman remains out until at least January.

Henrik Zetterberg, W DET Updated 10/09/02
    Zetterberg looks like he'll be quarterbacking the Red Wings' second power-play unit to start the season, according to the Detroit Free Press. He might be worth using later in the season if he gets off to a hot start.

Darryl Sydor, D DAL Updated 10/09/02
    Stars coach Dave Tippett told the Fort Worth Star Telegram that the whole team is fully healthy for Wednesday's season opener in Colorado. Sydor (charley horse) is a safe Fantasy player to use this week.

Dan Hinote, W COL Updated 10/09/02
    Hinote (broken leg) remains at least two weeks away from returning to the lineup. He had his walking cast removed, however, and might resume skating next week. Hinote has no Fantasy value even when healthy.

Dean McAmmond, W CGY Updated 10/09/02
    McAmmond (sore back) will miss Wednesday's game against Dallas and there is no timetable for his return. "McAmmond is basically in light work," Avs coach Bob Hartley told The Daily Camera. "We're trying to get a read on his back. Our medical staff is working on it, and we'll try to establish a strategy to fix him once and for all." McAmmond is not a recommended Fantasy starter.

Jeff Shantz, C CGY Updated 10/09/02
    Shantz will begin the year on the Avalanche's fourth line of Mike Keane and Eric Messier, according to the Denver Post. As members of the checking line, these three aren't really worthy of Fantasy consideration.

Steve Reinprecht, C COL Updated 10/09/02
    The Avalanche will use Reinprecht as the center of their third line of Vaclav Nedorost and Radim Vrbata, according to the Denver Post. Reinprecht is an intriguing Fantasy sleeper this season, but allow these three to develop some chemistry and prove themselves in a few games before you consider starting them.

Steve Brule, C COL Updated 10/09/02
    Avalanche coach Bob Hartley will use Brule as the left wing on the top line of Joe Sakic and Milan Hejduk to start the regular season, according to the Denver Post. Brule had phenomenal stats with Cincinnati of the AHL last season, and he might be worth adding to your roster if he gets off to a hot start and lands a permanent spot on this line.

Serge Aubin, C COL Updated 10/09/02
    Aubin (broken finger) has been cleared to play in Wednesday's season opener against Dallas. He will center the Avalanche's second line of Peter Forsberg (left wing) and Alex Tanguay (right wing), and he might see a nice boost to his point total if he sticks there all year. Monitor Aubin's progress in the first few games, as he might be worth a pickup in a deeper league if he gets off to a hot start.

Bob Probert, W CHI Updated 10/09/02
    The Blackhawks placed Probert on injured reserve Tuesday with a groin injury. He practiced Tuesday and will be evaluated on a day-to-day basis. Probert is only useful in Fantasy leagues for his high penalty-minute total, but you should reserve him for now.

Steve Thomas, W CHI Updated 10/09/02
    Thomas (ankle) practiced Tuesday, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. He should be ready to play Thursday in Columbus, but is a marginal Fantasy starter for this week.

Roman Turek, G CGY Updated 10/09/02
    Turek was sent home prior to Tuesday's practice with the flu, according to the Calgary Herald. "Instead of wearing him down ... it was probably best to keep him at home for some rest, so he can get back on track at 100 percent (Wednesday)," said coach Greg Gilbert. Turek is expected to be ready for Thursday's season opener against Vancouver, and looks safe to use in Fantasy leagues this week.

Jordan Leopold, D CGY Updated 10/09/02
    The Flames placed Leopold (concussion) on injured reserve on Tuesday, but the Calgary Herald reports that he no longer exhibits any symptoms. The move was considered precautionary, and he will be eligible to return in time for Saturday's game against Philadelphia. Leopold should be reserved in Fantasy leagues until he proves himself in a few games.

Vaclav Varada, W BUF Updated 10/09/02
    The Buffalo Sabres agreed to terms on a two-year contract with Varada, a restricted free agent, on Tuesday. He has minimal Fantasy value, and is not worth adding to your roster despite his signing.

Marty McInnis, W BOS Updated 10/09/02
    McInnis (back) did not skate Tuesday but hopes to on Wednesday, according to the Boston Herald. He is still not worth starting this week.

Kyle McLaren, D BOS Updated 10/09/02
    The Boston Herald reports that McLaren is still a lock to be traded by the Bruins. He remains a holdout, and no deal appears imminent. McLaren is only worth a midseason pickup if he lands in a good situation on a different team.

Tim Thomas, G BOS Updated 10/09/02
    Thomas was returned to Providence of the AHL by the Bruins on Tuesday, according to the Boston Herald. He had been recalled while John Grahame's injury status was up in the air, but now that Grahame is healthy, Thomas' Fantasy value drops back to zero.

John Grahame, G BOS Updated 10/09/02
    An MRI on Grahame's injured left shoulder Tuesday revealed only swelling in the joint area but no tear, according to the Boston Herald. He practiced Tuesday and is confident he will be ready for the Bruins' season-opening six-game road trip beginning Friday in Minnesota. Grahame is still not a recommended Fantasy starter while he shares time in net with Steve Shields.

Damian Rhodes, G FLA Updated 10/09/02
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Rhodes' status with the Thrashers remains clouded. He is undergoing medical tests and will be re-assigned to the minors if he passes. Rhodes is a useless Fantasy player.

German Titov, W ANA Updated 10/09/02
    The Mighty Ducks are still working on buying out the contracts of Titov and Denny Lambert, according to the L.A. Times. Even if either player winds up with another NHL team, neither is likely to help a Fantasy team this season.

Pavel Trnka, D ANA Updated 10/09/02
    Trnka (strained groin) will be placed on injured reserve by the Mighty Ducks. He has no Fantasy value.

Vitaly Vishnevski, D ANA Updated 10/09/02
    The L.A. Times reports that Vishnevski (sore right knee) is expected to play in Thursday's season opener. He is still not a recommended Fantasy starer.

Kristian Huselius, W FLA Updated 10/08/02
    The Panthers placed Huselius on injured reserve Tuesday with a sprained knee. He is likely out until late October.

Theo Fleury, W CHI Updated 10/08/02
    The league suspended Fleury indefinitely Tuesday for violating his substance abuse aftercare program. He will not be eligible for re-instatement until he is cleared by the supervising doctors. Reserve Fleury for now, and bump down your expectations for all your Blackhawks forwards, most especially linemates Alex Zhamnov and Sergei Berezin.

Garry Valk, W CHI Updated 10/08/02
    Valk was released by the Blackhawks on Tuesday. He had been in camp on a tryout basis. Valk will have no Fantasy value even if he signs with another team.

Eric Daze, W CHI Updated 10/08/02
    The Blackhawks placed Daze (back surgery) on injured reserve on Tuesday. He is expected to miss at least the first month of the regular season.

Jason Spezza, C OTT Updated 10/08/02
    The Ottawa Senators demoted Spezza to their minor-league affiliate in Binghamton on Tuesday. He is likely to be recalled later in the season, but is still really only valuable in keeper Fantasy leagues.

—Rogers Hornsby

One of the healthiest ways to gamble is with a spade and a package of garden seeds. ~Dan Bennett~

Jeff Halpern, C WAS Updated 10/08/02
    Halpern (groin) told The Washington Post that he feels much better and hopes to play in Friday's season opener. "Hopefully, by Wednesday my conditioning will be pretty good," he said. "And I definitely want to play Friday. My groin is fine." Halpern, who has minimal Fantasy value, is still not a recommended starter this week.

Dainius Zubrus, W WAS Updated 10/08/02
    The Washington Capitals signed Zubrus, a holdout restricted free agent, to a two-year contract Tuesday. It remains unclear whether he will immediately take his place on Jaromir Jagr's top line, where he skated last season, but Zubrus will likely be placed there sometime this year. He's a risky starter this week due to his late signing, but monitor his progress in the early weeks of the season.

Fedor Fedorov, W VAN Updated 10/08/02
    The Vancouver Sun reports that Fedorov, the younger brother of Detroit's Sergei Fedorov, has made the Canucks' Opening Night roster. He will skate on a line with Trevor Linden and Jan Hlavac. Fedor Fedorov might be worth a midseason pickup if he starts off strong, so monitor his progress in the upcoming weeks.

Jan Hlavac, W VAN Updated 10/08/02
    Hlavac (knee) participated fully in Monday's practice and is expected to play in Thursday's season opener, according to the Vancouver Sun. He will likely skate with Trevor Linden and Fedor Fedorov, and might be worth starting in a deeper league.

Fredrik Modin, W TB Updated 10/08/02
    The St. Petersburg Times reports that Modin left Monday's practice early with a groin strain. He is day to day, and you should probably reserve him for this week since he had little Fantasy value to begin with.

Brian Holzinger, C TB Updated 10/08/02
    Holzinger (broken leg) was placed on injured reserve by the Lightning on Tuesday. He is expected to be out for another two months.

Shane Willis, W TB Updated 10/08/02
    The Lightning designated Willis for assignment to Springfield of the AHL on Tuesday. He was a decent sleeper in deeper Fantasy leagues in preseason drafts, but now is no longer worth a roster spot.

Pavol Demitra, W STL Updated 10/08/02
    The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Demitra's (strained groin) status for Thursday's season opener is unclear after he missed Monday's practice. He might be placed on the injured list if he can't play, so you should probably reserve him for this week to be safe.

Scott Mellanby, W STL Updated 10/08/02
    Mellanby missed Monday's practice after having his nose reset in the morning, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. He is day to day, and has minimal Fantasy value.

Cory Stillman, C STL Updated 10/08/02
    Stillman left Monday's practice early after taking a shot off his foot, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. He will return for Tuesday's practice, but is not a recommended Fantasy starter for this week.

Brent Johnson, G STL Updated 10/08/02
    Johnson (ankle) skated Sunday for the first time since Sept. 9 but there remains no timetable for his return to game action, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. He will be placed on injured reserve, and Fred Brathwaite will assume the starting goaltending job for the Blues for now.

Marco Sturm, C SJ Updated 10/08/02
    The Mercury News reports that Sturm left Saturday's preseason game in the third period with a groin strain. He is expected to play Thursday, and might be worth starting this week in deeper leagues after a phenomenal preseason.

Scott Thornton, W SJ Updated 10/08/02
    Thornton might be placed on injured reserve to start the regular season due to a left shoulder injury. He is out indefinitely, and will be re-examined on Tuesday. Thornton is useless in Fantasy leagues as long as he is not fully healthy.

Alexei Kovalev, W PIT Updated 10/08/02
    The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that Kovalev, who has been shifted to center, will likely line up between Ville Nieminen and Vladimir Vujtek on the Penguins' second line for Thursday's season opener. Kovalev will also man the point on the first power-play unit, so his overall production should not decline. He might even be a safer Fantasy starter because opposing teams will not be able to key on him if he's not skating with Mario Lemieux.

Brian Savage, W PHO Updated 10/08/02
    Savage is questionable for the season opener Wednesday in Los Angeles due to a minor groin strain, according to The Arizona Republic. He has little Fantasy value and is not a recommended starter for this week.

Brad May, W PHO Updated 10/08/02
    The Arizona Republic reports that May will miss up to three months after undergoing surgery Monday to repair a muscle tear in his shoulder. He has no Fantasy value.

Mark Recchi, W PHI Updated 10/08/02
    Recchi told the Philadelphia Daily News that he is fully healthy for the start of the regular season. He has recovered from a medial collateral ligament sprain in his right knee. Recchi looks safe to start this week.

Justin Williams, W PHI Updated 10/08/02
    Williams (sprained knee) practiced fully Monday and is expected to be ready for Thursday's season opener in Edmonton, according to the Philadelphia Daily News. He has minimal Fantasy value, however, and is not recommended outside of very deep leagues.

Roman Cechmanek, G PHI Updated 10/08/02
    Cechmanek is still wearing ice packs on his sore right shoulder, which he said he injured when he fell on it in a preseason game last week, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. His status for the season opener is unclear, but he is too talented a goaltender to reserve unless he is officially declared out for Thursday's game.

Bobby Holik, C NYR Updated 10/08/02
    The New York Daily News reports that Holik (bruised right foot) did not practice Monday but the swelling in his foot has subsided considerably. He expects to practice Tuesday but might have another X-ray later in the week to ensure he doesn't have a fracture. Holik looks safe to use this week, barring a setback, but reserve him if you have a viable replacement on your roster.

Pavel Bure, W NYR Updated 10/08/02
    Bure skated Monday in his first full practice sunce Sept. 26 arthroscopic knee surgery, according to the New York Daily News. He is reportedly all but penciled into Wednesday's lineup, although he stressed caution about his playing status. It sounds like Bure will play at least a game this week, and even at less than 100 percent, he is still a better Fantasy starter this week than most players.

David Karpa, D NYR Updated 10/08/02
    Karpa (elbow laceration) was placed on injured reserve by the Rangers on Monday. He is expected out at least one month.

Scott Stevens, D NJ Updated 10/08/02
    The Star-Ledger reports that Stevens expects to play in Thursday's season opener in Ottawa despite a sore groin and hamstring. He is coming off a very poor 2001-02 campaign and might not be 100 percent, so it's best to keep him reserved this week.

Scott Walker, W NSH Updated 10/08/02
    Walker (thumb) returned to practice Monday and should play in Friday's season opener, according to The Tennessean. He has a little Fantasy value, but play it safe and reserve him this week since he is not guaranteed to play.

Greg Johnson, C NSH Updated 10/08/02
    Johnson (groin) returned to practice Monday and is expected to play in Friday's season opener, according to The Tennessean. However, he is not a recommended Fantasy starter.

Mike Grier, W EDM Updated 10/08/02
    The Washington Capitals acquired Grier from the Edmonton Oilers on Monday in exchange for second- and third-round picks in next year's draft. He will assume the spot on Steve Konowalchuk and Jeff Halpern's line, which was vacated by Ulf Dahlen. Grier is a marginal Fantasy starter in leagues that reward penalty minutes, and this trade probably won't make him worth adding to your roster.

Pavel Datsyuk, C DET Updated 10/08/02
    Datsyuk told the Detroit Free Press that he has recovered from his knee injury. He practiced Monday, but you should keep him reserved this week until he proves himself as a viable weekly Fantasy starter.

Boyd Devereaux, W DET Updated 10/08/02
    Devereaux will travel with the Red Wings on their west-coast trip this week but is still unable to play due to a broken left thumb. He will have an X-ray Oct. 14 in Detroit, and might be fitted with a hand cast that would allow him to play. The Detroit News reports that Devereaux might return Oct. 21 against Calgary.

Kirk Maltby, W DET Updated 10/08/02
    The Detroit Free Press reports that Maltby (back) practiced Monday and should be able to play in Thursday's season opener in San Jose. He is a marginal Fantasy player at best.

Brendan Shanahan, W DET Updated 10/08/02
    Shanahan, who is battling hip flexor and groin soreness, practiced Monday and might play in Thursday's season opener in San Jose, according to the Detroit Free Press. He is too good a Fantasy player to consider reserving this week, barring a setback.

Serge Aubin, C COL Updated 10/08/02
    Aubin practiced Monday for the first time since suffering a broken left pinky finger Sept. 19, according to the Rocky Mountain News. He should be able to play in the season opener, but is not a useful Fantasy player.

Dean McAmmond, W CGY Updated 10/08/02
    The Rocky Mountain News reports that McAmmond has still not practiced since joining the Avalanche due to a sore back. He is likely to be placed on injured reserve, so reserve him this week.

Michael Nylander, C CHI Updated 10/08/02
    Nylander (groin) is still not back to full strength, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. You might want to consider reserving him this week since he is not 100 percent.

Steve Thomas, W CHI Updated 10/08/02
    The Chicago Daily Herald reports that Thomas did not skate Monday as he works to recover from an ankle injury, and might be placed on injured reserve. "We've got some injuries right now, some aches and pains," coach Brian Sutter said. "You know about Stumpy [Thomas], and there's a couple who are still on the ice. We want to make darn sure [they can play in the season opener Thursday at Columbus]." Thomas is not a recommended Fantasy starter this week.

Jarno Kultanen, D BOS Updated 10/08/02
    Kultanen (knee surgery) is still not close to 100 percent, according to The Boston Globe. He might be sent to the Bruins' minor-league affiliate in Providence on a two-week conditioning stint. Kultanen is not a useful Fantasy player.

Marty McInnis, W BOS Updated 10/08/02
    McInnis (back) did not skate Monday but should return in the next few days, according to The Boston Globe. "The back is feeling better," he said. "It's much better today. It's more muscle than anything else so it's just a matter of taking a couple of days off." Play it safe and keep McInnis reserved this week.

Martin Lapointe, W BOS Updated 10/08/02
    The Boston Globe reports that Lapointe, who had been battling a virus the past few days, skated Monday and feels fine. "I've never had that before," he said. "I've had the flu and I know I can battle through the flu but I'd never had chest pains. I had trouble breathing. Every time I took a deep breath it would hurt. It's gone now, knock on wood. It took me three or four days and I'm fine now." Lapointe is still not a recommended Fantasy starter.

Tim Thomas, G BOS Updated 10/08/02
    Thomas was assigned to the Bruins' minor-league affiliate in Providence on Monday but might be recalled, according to The Boston Globe. He might need to serve as Steve Shields' backup if John Grahame misses time with a shoulder injury. Thomas has no Fantasy value.

Steve Shields, G BOS Updated 10/08/02
    Shields would get the start Friday in Minnesota if John Grahame's shoulder injury keeps him sidelined. Shields and Grahame, who are expected to split the goaltending duties early in the regular season, are not viable Fantasy starters as part-timers. Don't use Shields this week even if he officially is declared Friday's starter.

Aaron Miller, D LA Updated 10/08/02
    Miller (abdominal surgery) will be placed on injured reserve by the Kings, according to the L.A. Daily News. He remains out until at least November.

Steve Heinze, W LA Updated 10/08/02
    The Kings assigned Heinze to their minor-league affiliate in Manchester on Monday, according to the L.A. Daily News. His agent has been permitted to contact other teams to work out a trade, and he should find his way back into the NHL before the season is over. However, Heinze is highly unlikely to have any Fantasy value even if he gets recalled.

Jason York, D ANA Updated 10/08/02
    York was re-assigned to Cincinnati of the AHL by the Mighty Ducks on Monday. He has no Fantasy value.

Travis Green, C TOR Updated 10/07/02
    Green (head) is expected to be ready for Thursday's season opener in Pittsburgh, according to the Toronto Sun. He is still not a recommended Fantasy starter.

Alyn McCauley, C TOR Updated 10/07/02
    The Toronto Sun reports that McCauley left Saturday's preseason game in the third period after injuring his right knee. "My leg is fine," he said afterwards, while walking normally and without any limp. "You'll see me out there next game." McCauley will likely play in Thursday's season opener in Pittsburgh, and will skate on a line with Mikael Renberg and Shayne Corson. McCauley has very little Fantasy value.

Dave Andreychuk, W TB Updated 10/07/02
    Andreychuk returned to action in Friday's preseason game after missing four games with a broken small right toe. He still has minimal Fantasy value.

Brent Johnson, G STL Updated 10/07/02
    The Blues will place Johnson (sprained ankle) on the injured list to open the regular season, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Fred Brathwaite will be the starter for now, with Reinhard Divis serving as his backup.

Doug Weight, C STL Updated 10/07/02
    Weight returned from a pelvic injury in Saturday's preseason game, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "First period it was a lot of feeling it out," he said. "Wanting to get that first hit and see how I responded. ... My game felt really good. As I went along, it felt better and better. About halfway through I was there and now I'm ready to roll." Weight's line combination is still unclear, but he looks safe to use in Fantasy leagues the first week of the regular season.

Scott Thornton, W SJ Updated 10/07/02
    Thornton left Sunday's preseason game late in the third period in order to receive treatment on his shoulder, according to The Mercury News. "It got really sore as the game went on," he said. "I had to get out." Thornton is not a recommended Fantasy starter for this week.

Alexei Kovalev, W PIT Updated 10/07/02
    The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that the Penguins are switching Kovalev from right wing to center. "Ice-time wise, (Beech) might not get that here, now that we have Kovy playing the middle," coach Rick Kehoe said Sunday. Kovalev would probably center a line of Randy Robitaille and Alexandre Daigle, and that means little-to-no change in Fantasy value.

Mario Lemieux, C PIT Updated 10/07/02
    Lemieux played in Saturday's scrimmage and looked fairly sharp, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. He is expected to play in Thursday's season opener against Toronto, so keep him active for this week.

Randy Robitaille, C PIT Updated 10/07/02
    The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that Robitaille looks likely to center the line of Alexei Kovalev and Alexandre Daigle to begin the regular season. That suggests that the Penguins believe Robitaille can contribute heavily on offense, so monitor his progress early in the season -- he might be worth a pickup if he starts strong.

Teppo Numminen, D PHO Updated 10/07/02
    Numminen played his second game of the preseason Friday and reported no problems with his foot. He looks safe to use this week.

Brad May, W PHO Updated 10/07/02
    The Arizona Republic reports that May still hasn't recovered from the shoulder injury he suffered in the preseason opener, and will have the injury re-evaluated on Monday. "We're honestly not sure yet, but I think it is torn," Coyotes general manager Mike Barnett said. "If that's the case, it's a mighty big loss. But that's hockey." May would miss two to three months if he needs surgery, and he has no Fantasy value right now.

Justin Williams, W PHI Updated 10/07/02
    Williams did not test his sprained left knee in Saturday's preseason game, according to phillyBurbs.com. He remains questionable for Thursday's season opener in Edmonton, and is a risky starter for this week.

Roman Cechmanek, G PHI Updated 10/07/02
    The Philadelphia Inquirer reports that Cechmanek missed Saturday's preseason game with a sore right shoulder. The team wanted to give him some extra rest so he could practice this week and work with the team's goaltending coach. Cechmanek is expected to be ready for Thursday's season opener, but he is a risky start coming off such a poor preseason and playing two games out west.

Martin Havlat, W OTT Updated 10/07/02
    Havlat was scheduled to have his bruised left knee, which he suffered on Saturday, re-evaluated on Sunday, according to the Ottawa Citizen. This injury is not considered serious, so keep him active for now.

Zdeno Chara, D OTT Updated 10/07/02
    Chara left Saturday's preseason game against Montreal in the second period due to a technical problem with the brace on his left knee, according to the Ottawa Citizen. He will practice Monday and looks safe to use this week.

Pavel Bure, W NYR Updated 10/07/02
    The New York Times reported Sunday that Rangers general manager Glen Sather said Bure, who underwent knee surgery Sept. 26, will be ready to play in Wednesday's season opener in Carolina. "Just from what I've been told, yes," Sather said, referring to reports from the club's medical staff. Bure will skate on the top line with Petr Nedved and Eric Lindros once healthy, but it might be a good idea to keep him reserved for the first week. There's a good chance he might not play after all, and even if he does, he might be limited.

Dan Blackburn, G NYR Updated 10/07/02
    New York Newsday reports that Blackburn, who tweaked his groin in Saturday's preseason game, will miss at least two days. He was not going to start Wednesday's season opener anyway, but should be able to play Friday against Montreal or Saturday in Pittsburgh. Blackburn is not recommended except in keeper leagues.

Bobby Holik, C NYR Updated 10/07/02
    Holik has been diagnosed with a bruised right foot, the result of being hit by teammate Brian Leetch's shot in Saturday's preseason game, according to New York Newsday. Holik should be ready for Wednesday's season opener in Carolina, and looks safe to use this week.
    —Rogers Hornsby

great stuff CC, thanks for all the hard work you do.

YW..
    —Rogers Hornsby

that's HUGE CC....some great poolie stuff there....thanks a lot bud.....

Mo$$$

+ Reply to Thread