By Greg Dempson
This SEC conference game tips at 8:00 ET at the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee. The Volunteer faithful must travel just under three hours via ground transportation if they want to watch this match-up live vs. an almost five hour trip for Auburns fans. In their first game this season the Tigers defeated the Volunteers (83–77) at home on January 2 but in the rematch, Auburn, who was extremely shorthanded, was absolutely crushed by Tennessee, (71–45,) in Knoxville on February 9th.
The Tigers are very capable from beyond the arc and actually led the SEC with an average of 8.9 3-pointers made per game. In those first two games Auburn played without T. J. Dunans and I note the Tigers were 7–6 straight up on the season when he was in the line-up, (11.2 PPG,) and 4–13 without him. The Tigers will be without Kareem Canty, (personal reasons.) He was suspended by the team on February 6th and the team went 2–6 straight up without him, (3–5 ATS.)
From the Bench
· The Volunteers will be without Kevin Punter, their leading scorer, (22.2 PPG.) One of the key factors to tonight’s contest will be the status of Robert Hubbs III. He’s averaged 10.4 PPG on the season and scored 20 vs. Auburn in their most recent meeting. Hubbs has a bad knee and if he does go, he most certainly will be hampered. This would mean swingman Armani Moore, averaging 12.0 PPG along with 7.9 rebounds will have to step up. Moore scored only 3 points in their two games vs. Auburn this season.
· Tennessee has lost six out of their last seven games straight up, (2–5 ATS,) with Punter Junior out of the line-up.
· Auburn was 1–1 in Neutral court games this season while Tennessee went 0–3.
· Tennessee is 6–21 ATS and -17.10-units as a favorite the last two seasons.
· The favorite has certainly held the upper hand by since Bruce Pearl became Auburn’s head coach he is 2 – 1 ATS in their last three vs. the Volunteers. The current line is +3.5 when backing the dog and I really want +4, it was +4 for a bit but dropped back to +3.5.
Auburn vs Tennessee Pick
My Every Edge game of the night is a small play on the Auburn Tigers at 3.5 points.
Visit www.gregdempson.com for your handicapping needs.