Iowa -13 v Iowa St.

cr8onjr

Iowa -13- v Iowa St

The Cy-Hawk series renews in Iowa City Sat. Both teams come into the game 1-0, with good performances in their respective openers. I watched ISU on TV, Iowa in person and then again on DVR. Here are my thoughts on both teams.

ISU has a Sr. QB Austin Arnaud, who is capable @ both running and passing the ball. He had a 50 yd TD called back in the 1st qtr, due to illegal formation call. He made some good throws, but also threw 2 INT’s. One tipped, another just an awful decision. His big problem last yr. was decision making, including throwing 5 INT’s v Iowa, which was instrumental in Iowa’s 35-3 win @ ISU. ISU has a good RB in Alexander Robinson, and the Clones did run for 190 yds in last yrs. game. Iowa Coach Ferentz has reminded his defense of that fact over and over this week. The OL is big and has some experience. TE is good, WR average. Kicker OK. Defense is another story, as ISU is replacing 3 lb, 2 dl, and 3 in the secondary. Watching the game last week, they are not a good tackling team. Their starting CB Benton is out this week, with a death in his family, and the backup is a true soph. 5′7″ 160 lbs. which could pose some problems w/ Iowa’s large WR all over 6′1″ and big. ISU does get back SS Sims, who served 1 game suspension last week. NIU did run for over 150 yds. last week, and IF they had a qb that could hit water IF he fell out of a boat, would have thrown for about 200+.

Iowa came out and dominated E. Ill leading 21-0 after the 1st qtr, and then basically coasted winning 37-7. RB Adam Robinson had over 100 yds rushing on 29 carries, and is a punishing runner consistently bouncing off the 1st defender to gain extra yards. Iowa gets back Jewel Hampton, who 2 yrs. ago set the frosh rushing record behind Shonn Greene, (which was subsequently broken by A Rob in 2009) He was suspended last week, and is coming back from ACl in 2009. He is chomping at the bit, to get back on the field. No one is more excited to play than Jewel. Sr. QB Ricky Stanzi was 18-23 and by my estimation only threw 3 passes poorly, and more importantly no INT’s. I expect ISU to blitz Stanzi and test his knee/ankle that he tweaked. At this weeks press conference he was not limping, wearing a boot, or anything, and he said he was 100%, so I will take him @ his word. Iowa’s defense held E. Ill to only 6 fist downs last week, and 150yds total offense. 46 on a fake punt, so they were dominating as expected. They also get back 2 starters from suspension/injury this week.

I look for Iowa to control the ball w/ a mix of running and passing. Stanzi when hot and in control is great when he is bad its pick 6 time. His off season film study and summer work, looked great last week. ISU’s defense just isn’t big enough and stout enough to handle the Iowa offense. Iowa should get to 27 or more points. The question is can ISU score enough to cover? Well ISU has not scored a TD v Iowa in the last 3 games, and now stretching to 14 qtrs. That was 2 head coaches ago. Do I think that will continue, no. But I don’t see them going for 20+ points either. On the Hawkweye Huddle radio show I predicted Iowa 31 ISU 16. I will stick with that.

glta

cr8onjr