Iowa +4 v Ga Tech

cr8onjr

Take w/ a grain of salt, as I'm a homer, but here is why I think Iowa will not only cover, but win the game SU.

The key matchup in this game is the GT offense and rushing game v the Iowa defense. Obviously GT runs the "Navy" option game in such a manner that they are in the top 5 in the country running the ball. Tech averages over 5 yds a carry, and then occasionally throws the ball deep w/ much success. They just keep running and pounding the ball until the defense generally breaks. However in their 2 losses, both Miami and UGA were able to contain the run, won the TO battle, and controlled the ball keeping the GT offense on the sidelines. Iowa's defense obviously haven't had to defend this sort of option offense, all season. However, DC Norm Parker is as old school as it gets, and given a month to prepare has grilled and drilled the defense on their assignments and the need for execution @ every positon . Iowa's defense has shown great discipline all season. They have only given up 100 yd rusher to ISU and Mich. On average they give up 3.5 yds/ carry, but when teams tend to be 1 dimensional, they have had much better success. The DL is stout w/ the DE in Bnns and Clayborn talking about the challenge and how key they are in this game. The OLB of Edds and Hunter will also be key in containing the pitch man, MLB Angerer is All Big 10 and leads Iowa in tackles. Key man to this game, may be SS Tyler Sash, a ball hawking tough tackling DB and the 8th man in the box. Iowa has a shut down CB in Spivey who should be able to contain the WR that GT throws to. Because Iowa tends to play zone most of the time, they tend to be home in their assignments, and thus in position to make the tackle, GT will get some yds, because they always do, but Iowa will do a good job keeping them out of the endzone. Iowa has not allowed any team to reach its scoring average all season holding them to an average of 17 under their scoring average.

Iowa offense v GT defense: Iowa gets QB Ricky Stanzi back for this game, he missed the last 2 3/4 games w/ an ankle injury, but is back and has been back since the beginning of bowl practice. This is huge for Iowa, as his ability to check off @ the line of scrimmage is a key to Iowa trying to maintain some balance in its offense. Iowa also has both RB back from injury Adam Robinson and Brendan Wegher will be available and ready to go. In fact Iowa may be the healthiest it has been all season, both in the OL, QB, RB and WR. Iowa much like GT has done a good job in TOP w/ both teams in the top 15 in the country in TOP. Much like the Rose Bowl yesterday, tOSU had the ball 2-1 v Oregon and was able to keep the Duck offense off the field. The GT defense has had its issues this season, giving up 5 yds/ rush, and an average of 25 pts/game. Stanzi needs to stay away from the big mistake, 3 pick 6 this season, and a fumble in the endzone for a td v NW. IF he is able to do that, Iowa should have some success on offense, and keep the ball away from GT.

Special teams seem to be an edge for Iowa, however I don't really trust Daniel Murray on the K, but Donahue is an excellent punter. Iowa has blocked 4 kicks this year, including the game changer @ PSU and the 2 game savers v UNI.

Iowa HC Ferentz completely changed his bowl game schedule after the 2003 Orange Bowl, and the Hawks have had good success in these Jan. bowl games going 5-3 in the Ferentz era, and 6-2 ATS in those games. Iowa also 5-0 ATS on the road this yr. GT has lost 3 of its last 4 bowl games, and was routed last yr. in Atlanta v LSU. Both teams are accustomed to close games as both had 5 or more games decided by a TD or less. Iowa hasn't lost a game by more than a TD in 2 yrs.

Iowa 27 GT 21

glta

cr8onjr

RamblinGambler

I like Iowa as I posted last night for the same reasons you stated. The only problem I see is that Blang is on Iowa also.

Best of luck to us!