By Greg Dempson
Matt Moore get the start for the Giants this evening in this 7:10 ET start. Moore was acquired at the trade deadline from Tampa Bay and he’s had one start in a Giants uniform. In that contest vs. the Phillies this past Thursday he issued 6 walks in as many innings while allowing 2 earned runs on 3 hits and striking out 7.
He’s had two starts in 2015/2016 vs. the Rays, on May 23 he allowed 5 earned runs in 5 innings on 10 hits, (1 homer,) while walking 1 and striking out 3 in a 7–6 loss. On September 29, 2015 at home vs. the Marlins he fared better pitching 7 innings while allowing a single run in a 4–2 victory.
Moore has a road ERA of 4.74, WHIP of 1.500, (he/team at 3–7,) with all but one of those starts while pitching for Tampa Bay. In his most recent three starts he has pitched 19.7 combined innings with all three contests at road venues. In those three games he allowed 5 earned runs on 11 hits, (1 homer,) while walking 12 while striking out 18. His ERA in those last three is 2.29, WHIP of 1.169
Tom Koehler is on the mound for the Marlins this evening. He hasn’t faced the Giants since 2014 and has three starts and he/team has three wins vs. Frisco, 5–0 at the Giants, 6–5 at home and 2–1 at Frisco. He tossed a combined 19 innings in those three starts allowing 4 runs, (all earned,) on 14 hits while walking 9 and striking out 14. Koehler has an ERA of 3.70 at home and in his most recent three starts his ERA is 0.90 through 20 innings while allowing 2 earned runs with a WHIP of 0.650.
· Last night’s selection on the Tigers at plus money lost. My Every Edge record is now 29–15–01 with the majority of those loses being underdogs.
Around the Diamonds
· Miami is 21–09 and +12.50-units against the money line in home games vs. an National League pitcher whose ERA is between 3.50 to 4.20.
· In the second half of the season the past two seasons the Giants are 17–32 and -19.80-units against the money line in road games vs. teams whose hitters strike out 7 or more times per game.
· In two starts at Marlins Park, Matt Moore’s ERA is 7.36 through 11 innings, he’s allowed 15 hits, including 2 home runs.
· Miami is 18–07 vs. lefties this season.
All Systems Go
· After seven or more consecutive road games, play against Tuesday road teams with a money line of –100 to –150. This system is 127 – 92 and +51.20-units since 1997.
· In the month of August play on National League home teams that average 4.3 to 4.8 RPG when the money line is + or –125 and they’re playing against a decent starter whose ERA is 3.70 to 4.20. This system is 158–108 and +54.20-units since 1997.
Giants vs Marlins Pick
My Everyedge selection for this evening is on the Miami Marlins at –106 on the money line.