By Greg Dempson
Los Angeles Kings at Columbus Blue Jackets
In my last offering I was 1.2 seconds short from a win as the Flames scored on the Bruins to tie the game and then Calgary won in overtime. My Every Edge record for the NHL is 2 – 4 – 3 and -$416.00 with all games for 1.0-unit each. Onto this evenings selection.
The Columbus Blue Jackets host the Los Angeles Kings at the Nationwide Area with Sergi Bobrovsky getting the start in goal for the host team. The Blue Jackets are most certainly much improved since former Canucks coach John Tortorella took over the reins going 11–09–01.
Their defense has certainly steeped it up and I note the Blue jackets have played but one over in their last 10 contests going 1–8–1 to the under. Bobrovsky has a GAA of 1.41 in his last 10 starts while allowing only 6 goals in his last 8 starts. “Bob” stopped 31 out of 33 shots in Los Angeles earlier this season.
Jonathan Quick was the first goalie off the ice so the norm would suggest that Quick will be between the pipes tonight. Quick has started in goal in 7 road games and has allowed 15 goals, (GAA 2.14,) with a save percentage of 92.6%. Quick has a GAA of 1.46 during the club’s current 5–0–1 run. Quick has also Quick has also won his last five starts in Columbus with a GAA of 1.97.
View From Center Ice
· The Kings have shored up their defensive skills when being short handed and killed off 8 penalties in their last two contests.
· In the first half of the season, this season, the Blue Jackets are 02–10 to the under when facing a team with a winning percentage of between 60% to 75% of their games.
· Los Angeles is 6–19 to the under the past three seasons after winning four out of their last five games.
· The “Catch 22” system is live on this game tonight and it goes like this, when the O/U is 5 goals or less, play home teams under the total after a win by 2 or more goals vs. a division rival and playing against an opponent that’s off a home win by 2 or more goals. This system is 22–51 = 70% to the under since 1996 as well as 06–17 to the under the past five seasons.
· After winning 4 of their last 5 games and playing on a Tuesday night, play road teams under the total. This system is 49 – 100 = 67% to the under the past five seasons including 03–07 = 70% to the under this season.
My Every Edge NHL Game of the Night is the under 5 goals at +105 in the contest between the LA Kings and the Columbus Blue Jackets.