By Greg Dempson
The Oakland Athletics are averaging 4.0 runs per game on the season with that output being slightly higher at 4.2 when batting at home as well as averaging 4.4 vs. division foes and 4.1 in night games.
They send 5.34 “Shades of Gray,” as in Sonny Gray, to the mound.
Sonny has lowered that ERA from 5.34 considerably, as his record is 0–1 with a 2.13 ERA on 9 strikeouts vs. 2 walks in two starts since coming off the disabled list for a strained right trapezius on June 5. Gray is 7–3 v. the Rangers with an ERA of 1.92, WHIP of 1.095.
Derek Holland gets the start for the Rangers this evening. Holland has a record of 5–4 in 12 starts vs. the Athletics with a lifetime ERA of 3.25 and a WHIP of 1.257. When starting at the Coliseum, he’s 3–4 with a 2.95 ERA in 12 appearances, including 10 starts. He allowed 2 earned runs on 3 hits through 6 innings in a 3–1 loss in Oakland on May 16. For the season Holland has an ERA of 4.87, WHIP 1.314 with a 5–5 record.
When away from home that ERA climbs to 5.97, WHIP 1.407 with a 2–4 record in seven starts, (4–3 to the over.)
From The Batter’s Box
· These two teams have a history of playing high scoring games, 27–13 to the over in the last three seasons including the most recent two games producing scores of 10–06 and 14–05.
· In games played at the Coliseum the past three seasons the total is 18–06 to the over as well as 5–1 this season.
· Gray/Team is 24–11 to the over and +12.70-units as a favorite of –125 to –175 the last three seasons.
· Gray/Team is 23–09 to the over and +13.80-units when the total is 7 to 8.5 in the last two seasons with an average combined score of 9.4 RPG.
· Holland/Team is 13–06–02 to the over in his last 21 road starts vs. a team with a losing record.
· The Rangers are 20–08 to the over after 9 consecutive games vs. division rivals the last two seasons.
· The Athletics are 14–05 to the over when off a loss to a division rival, as a home favorite, the last two seasons.
· Oakland’s highest runs scored per game is vs. lefties this season as the A’s average 5.9 RPG in 14 games with 10 overs vs. 4 unders.
Home Plate Umpire Bill Welke
· Welke is 9–2 to the over in 11 games this season, (10–1 to the home team.)
· Welke is 12–03–01 to the over in his last 16 games behind home plate.
My Everyedge.com record is 14–4 with those four loses being two underdogs on the money line with one loss a favorite of –120 and the other a favorite of –105.
Tonight’s selection is for the Rangers/Athletics to sail over 8 runs at –114.
For additional winning information, Tweets and systems, visit www.gregdempson.com