By Greg Dempson
According to the odds makers it is David vs. Goliath this evening as the Padres are +200 in this leftie vs. leftie match-up. San Diego sends Clayton Richard to the mound this evening in this 10:10 ET start.
Richard, who came to San Diego via the Cubs, is 1–3 with an ERA of 1.40 through three starts, (plus two relief appearances.) Lifetime vs. the Dodgers he has an ERA of 3.67, WHIP of 1.332 while posting a 6–3 record in 16 starts. Richard has pitched a combined 18 innings in his last three starts, posting an ERA of 1.00, WHIP of 1.111, allowing only 2 earned runs on 13 hits, (two homers,) while walking 7 vs. 11 strikeouts.
The Dodgers send Julio Urias to the mound, he/Team is 6–0 when he starts at home and his ERA is 3.18, WHIP of 1.412. He averages only 4.8 innings per start but has seen improvement in that department in his last three on the mound going a combined 17 innings while allowing 2 earned runs on 17 hits, (no home runs,) with an ERA of 1.06, WHIP of 1.235. Urias has yet to face the Padres.
· My last selection on the over in the Reds/Angels game lost, I am 33–19–01 with my MLB selections this season.
· The Padres are 23 games below .500 this season but a much more respectable 17–18 when facing lefties while averaging 4.8 RPG.
· The Dodgers are 25 games above .500 for the season but only 16–18 vs. lefties this season averaging only 3.6 RPG.
· San Diego does not have a great bullpen, especially on the road as their ERA is 4.44, WHIP 1.400.
· The Dodgers get great distance from the bullpen and have a home ERA of 2.62, WHIP of 1.019.
All Systems Go
· Play on any National League team with a team on base percentage .300 or worse on the season after allowing 8 runs or more in two consecutive games, (applies to the Padres.) This system is 67–44 = 60% and +40.60-units.
Padres vs Dodgers Pick
Due to the disparity of each teams’ bullpen, I have opted for a first 5 innings play. My EveryEdge MLB selection is on the San Diego Padres at +195 on the money line.