By Greg Dempson
The Pirates, winner of the first game in this series, (4–2,) send Steven Brault to the mound as Jameson Taillon has been scratched due to right shoulder fatigue and has been added to the 15 day disabled list.
Brault went 2–3 with an ERA of 2.57 in eight starts with Triple-A Indianapolis this season with 44 strikeouts in 35 innings.
The Cardinals counter with Mike Leake, 5–6 this season, (ERA of 4.13, WHIP of 1.204.) Leake is 9–4 with a 3.13 ERA lifetime versus the Pirates.
Around the Diamonds
· The Pirates lowest run output of the season is vs. division foes as they average 3.7 runs per game.
· The Cardinals highest run output of the season is in division contests as they average 5.7 RPB.
· Pittsburgh is 8 – 15 at Busch Stadium the past three seasons.
· The Cardinals average 5.1 RPG vs. lefties this season.
· Since 1997 the Pirates are -122.40-units against the money line when on the road and the total is 8.5 to 10 runs.
· St. Louis is +28.40-units against the money line when the total is 7 to 8.5 the last two seasons.
· Pittsburgh 3 – 8 in their last 11 road games when playing a team with a winning record.
· Leake is 27–9 and +15.30-units against the money line in home games vs. teams whose hitters strike out 7 or more times per game in the second half of the season since 1997.
· The Pirates are -23.0-units against the money line against division opponents the past two seasons.
· The Cardinals are 7–2 in their last nine games when umpire Bob Davison is behind home plate.
My opinion on this game is on the Cardinals at –1 run @ -110. This is an opinion only play and won’t qualify as an official EE pick in our MLB plays.