By Greg Dempson
The pucks drops at 7:00 ET at Nationwide Arena, Columbus, Ohio as the Blue jackets host Detroit. The RedWings enter tonight’s contest off back-to-back blowout losses to the Chicago BlackHawks, (4–1) and (5–2,) while Columbus was just humiliated at home, (6–0,) by the Calgary Flames.
When reviewing the recent home scores posted by the Blue Jackets this game has “over” written all over it! Prior to that 6–0 loss to the Flames Columbus won by scores of (6–3,) (4–3) as well as (6–1) when hosting the Devils. When is the last time New Jersey allowed 6 goals? The Blue Jackets are on a 4–1 run to the over, however, I am not buying into the over concept with my selection on this contest.
Between the Pipes
· Jimmy Howard gets the start in goal for Detroit. Howard has a road save percentage of 90.8% and in his last four appearances, (two starts,) Howard has stopped 93 out of 98 shots for a save percentage of 94.9%. Howard shutout Columbus twice last season and he’s 11–5–3 with a GAA of 1.90 in his career against them.
· Joonas Korpisalo gets the start tonight for the Blue jackets. He’s won four of his last five starts while posting a GAA of 2.57 and a save percentage of 91.1%. Korpisalo is 8–3–3 with a GAA of 2.42 and a save percentage of 92.3%.
On The Power Play
· Detroit’s power play has been anemic of late as they’ve concerted on 2 of 28 chances. In Detroit’s last game vs. Columbus on February 23, they killed off all three short-handed situations as part of a 17 for 17 streak before yielding a pair of odd man scores in both games versus Chicago.
· Columbus and Detroit have played under the total in five of their last six games.
· The RedWings are 8–19 to the under after playing a road game this season.
· Play home teams under the total when revenging a loss when the team scored 1 or less goals, in a game involving two marginal losing teams winning between 40 to 49% of their games. This system is 15–46 = 75% to the under the past five seasons as well as 2–9 to the under this season and 9–26 to the under the past three seasons.
Red Wings vs Blue Jackets Pick
My Every Edge game for the evening is to take Detroit and Columbus under 5.5 goals at –115.
For additional free selections and systems visit www.gregdempson.com.