By Greg Dempson
DeAngelo Williams has answered the “Bell” admirably, (in Le’Veon’s absence,) as he’s rushed for a league high 237 yards and 2 touchdowns via the ground as well as adding another 10 catches and an additional score.
The Steelers have run and passed at will in their first two games and Ben Roethlisberger is off to a quick start and he leads the league with 6 touchdown passes, despite the absence of star running back Le’Veon Bell, (who returns from suspension next week).
The Steelers have defeated two playoff teams from last season, Washington and Cincinnati while the Eagles have won vs. the Browns and Bears who had 9 combined victories last season, (09–23 overall,) with those aforementioned teams at 0–4 straight up this season.
Carson Wentz has looked very impressive in his first two starts but this will be his first true test vs. a “Steel Curtain” defense that has only allowed only 2 touchdowns with both TD’s coming in the fourth quarter when Pittsburgh was well in control.
· Last week’s selection was an outright underdog winner with the Tennessee Titans. I’ve started the regular season at 2–0 ATS and I went 3–0 ATS in the preseason, (5–0,) overall.
Angles and Observations
· In their preseason meeting this season the Eagles won 17–00 but Pittsburgh played without Roethlisberger, Bell and Brown plus head coach Mike Tomlin does not care about the preseason, his ATS and straight up record definitely reflects that statement.
· The Eagles have allowed 3 completions of 40+ yards vs. the likes of the Browns and Bears, what can Big Ben do vs. this defense?
· In their last 26 road games, Pittsburgh is 18–06–02 ATS vs. teams with a winning home record.
· Philadelphia is 1–8–1 ATS in their last 10 home games when hosting a team with a winning road record.
· When facing a team with a straight up winning record the Steelers are 13–04–02 ATS.
· The Eagles are 0–7 ATS after two consecutive wins.
· After allowing more than 250 yards passing in their previous game, Pittsburgh is 10–04 ATS in their last 14 games.
· When playing on a Sunday and off a Monday night contest, Philadelphia is on an 0–5 ATS covering streak.
Steelers at Eagles Pick
My week 3 Every Edge selection is on the Pittsburgh Steelers –3 at –125, (when I placed my wager.) I would recommend a play at –3.5 points for a slightly reduced amount.