By Greg Dempson
This game tips at 3:00 ET at the Amway Center in Orlando, Florida. I’m absolutely certain that UCONN wished this one tipped at 9:00 ET as they play this afternoon’s contest off four overtime periods.
I watched in amazement as freshman Jalen Adams made a game tying shot from beyond half court at the buzzer to end the third overtime and force a fourth.
The end result propelled the Huskies into this afternoon’s contest vs. the Owls, who are the number one seed. Temple won both meetings this season and I’m sure you’ve heard that it is difficult to defeat a team three times in one season. It happens more times that you might imagine and this tournament is no exception.
The Owls have won straight up and covered the last four in this series. Temple had an easy time in their win vs. South Florida with five players scoring double-digits in their 79–62 win.
Playing four overtimes has not gone unnoticed by the books as a line that should be favoring UCONN by about 5 points is now –3 as I write this report and bet on the underdog. Five Huskies played at least 43 minutes including Adams, whose 22 points were a career high, Sterling Gibbs and Rodney Purvis scored 14 points apiece while playing 54 and 49 minutes, respectively.
· Recent play be each team, when factoring in my adjusted power ratings, suggests that +3 isn’t all that unfair with UCONN having an edge of –2.31 which is almost bang on to the current line of +2.5.
· The Huskies went 1–3 vs. Top 25 opponents and 4–6 vs. teams in the Top 50.
· The Owls went 1–3 vs. Top 25 teams and 5–5 vs. foes in the Top 50.
· Huskies coach Ollie is 7–18 ATS off two straight wins against conference rivals.
· Temple is 14–5 ATS after a win by 10 or more points the last two seasons including 9–2 ATS if they’re off a conference victory.
· In the past 10 seasons, every regular season champion, (from a major conference,) that reached the tournament semifinals has played in the NCAA Tournament.
· Play against neutral court teams as a favorite or pick after going over the total by 24 or more combined points total in their last three games and playing against an opponent that’s stayed under the total by 30 or more combined points in their last five games. This system is 67 – 35 = 66% ATS since 1997.
Temple vs Connecticut Pick
My Every Edge offering for this afternoon is on the Temple Owls at +2.5.
For an additional free full service selection visit my web site at www.gregdempson.com.