By Greg Dempson
Colin Kapernick has had issues with his throwing shoulder and was held out of practice on Friday so look for Blaine Gabbert to get the start in this one. Each teams’ quarterback rotations has not been announced as of this report.
It’s almost a year to the day when these two teams last met in preseason play, (08/15/15,) at Houston when the Texans defeated the 49ers, (23–10.)
Former Oregon head coach Chip Kelly returns to California only this time as San Francisco’s head coach. After three seasons with the Eagles the Kelly style of offense was grounded and he was fired after week 15 and eventually replaced by Doug Pederson.
In Kelly’s his first year at Philadelphia, (2013,) Kelly improved their won/loss record by six games, from 04–12 to a 10–06 record including a post season appearance and loss at New Orleans. In 2014 Philadelphia had an identical 10–06 record while missing the playoffs. Last season Kelly was fired after week 15 with the Eagles at 6–9. In his three pre seasons with the Eagles Kelly was 7–5 ATS with the over going 10–02 and that might explain why there has been some pressure on the total which opened at 35 and bet up to 36.5 and 37 at most books.
This will be the third season for Houston head coach Bill O’Brien in his two season while walking the exhibition sidelines Houston is 1–7 to the UNDER while going 4–4 ATS including 2–2 ATS when on the road. Last season Houston defeated the 49ers at home 23–10 and when hosting the 49ers in 2014 they were hammered 40–13 with that contest being the lone over of his eight preseason games.
· In his six preseason home games as Philadelphia’s head coach Kelly was favored in all six contests and the Eagles went 5–1 ATS.
· In those six home games the first half scores were as follows:
· 2015, Phily winning 23–03 and 24–00, going 2–0 ATS.
· 2014, Phily winning 13–00 and 17–00, going 2–0 ATS.
· 2013, Phily losing 14–24 and winning 14–06 going 1–1 ATS.
· In their six road contests Kelly/Team went 8–3–1 when combining the side and the over, (7–0–1 side and total in 20014 and 2015.)
· After being unceremoniously dumped after week 15 of last season I expect Kelly to come out gunning with a “chip” on his shoulder in game one of this preseason, especially in the first half.
Texans vs 49ers Pick
My Every Edge selection is on the 49ers at –3 or less points in the first half.
Visit gregdempson.com to get all your NFL handicapping information this season.