By Greg Dempson
Michael Fulmer gets the nod for the surging Tigers in this 10:10 ET start vs. Hisashi Iwakuma. Fulmer has been sensational and one of the key components in Detroit’s surge for perhaps a first place finish vs. the Indians or at the very least, a Wild Card post season appearance.
Fulmer faced Seattle on June 22 this season and left after 4.3 innings while allowing 1 earned run on 3 hits with 1 walk vs. 3 strikeouts. Fulmer/Team is 10–02 on the road and his ERA is 2.87, WHIP of 1.080 through 72 innings allowing 61 hits, (8 homers,) while walking 24 vs. 60 strikeouts.
Iwakuma was the victim in that June 22 loss vs. Detroit as he allowed 5 earned runs on 11 hits through 4.7 innings while walking 3 and striking out 5. Iwakuma/Team is 7–3 at home and he’s pitched a combined 65.3 innings posting an ERA of 3.86, WHIP of 1.733 while allowing 28 earned runs, (10 of which were homers,) on 7 walks vs. 48 strikeouts.
With two stellar pitchers on the mound, that explains why the money line is so close to even money, either way.
My opinion on the Astros lost yesterday as I did not have an official selection and my Every Edge MLB record remains at 29–14–01. However, I’m pleased to say that I am wagering on tonight’s contest.
From the Pitcher’s Mound
· Fulmer/Team is 1–0 vs. Seattle, (team won on June 22,) with an ERA of 2.08, WHIP of 0.924.
· Iwakuma/Team is 3–3 vs. the Tigers and his ERA is 4.17, WHIP 1.364. In his last home start vs. Detroit, (a 12–5 loss,) he lasted 5 innings while allowing 5 earned runs on 8 hits, 4 of which were homers while walking none and striking out 3.
· Fulmer/Team is 15–02 in al games this season as well as 8–1 vs. the M/L this season when allowing 1 or less earned runs in his last season.
· Fulmer is 11–0 vs. the money line vs. poor base running teams that average 0.5 or less stolen bases per game this season.
Around the Diamonds
· Seattle is -31.0-units against the money line in home games against right-handed starters the past three seasons.
· Detroit is 31–13 +15.60-units against the money line when the money line is in this price range this season.
· The Mariners are -53.30-units against the money line at home when the total is 8 to 8.5.
· Detroit is the hotter of the two teams at 10–02 in their last 12 while Seattle is 6–6.
Tigers vs Mariners Pick
My Everyedge selection for this evening is on the Detroit Tigers at +101 on the money line.