By Greg Dempson
The Tigers send Michael Fulmer to the mound tonight in this 7:10 ET start. Fulmer is 7 – 2 including 5 – 2 on the road with an away ERA of 2.91, WHIP 1.295. In his last three starts, two of which have been on the road, Fulmer’s ERA is 1.12, WHIP 1.125.
Fulmer has allowed 15 earned runs in 46.3 innings when away from home while walking 19 and striking out 41. Fulmer is 1–0 when starting against the Rays with an ERA of 1.29 and a WHIP of 0.714. He has seven straight starts whereby he’s allowed fewer than 2 runs and has surrendered just one home run in his last 6 outings with 60 strikeouts in 63.7 innings.
The Rays, losers of 13 out of their last 15 games send Drew Smyly to the mound. Smyly/Team is 0–7 in his last 7 starts, (while Smyly is 0–4.) On May 21, Smyly allowed 3 runs through 6 1.3 innings in a loss to Fulmer and the Tigers. Smyly/Detroit is 0–2 when starting vs. the Tigers with an ERA of 5.56 and a WHIP of 1.500.
Around the Diamonds
· The Tigers are 21–9 vs. the money line when a favorite of – 110 or greater this season.
· The Rays are 12–25 against the money line after batting .250 or worse over a 20 game span this season.
· Fulmer/Team is 8–0 vs. the money line when playing against poor base running teams that average 0.5 or less stolen bases this season.
· Tampa Bay is -24.60-units vs. the money line at home when facing an average bullpen whose ERA is 3.75 to 4.50 the last three seasons.
· Detroit is 7–2 vs. their last nine vs. a leftie.
· The Rays are 08–20 in their last 28 games vs. a right-handed starter.
Tigers vs Rays Pick
My Every Edge selection for Friday, (which is Canada Day for proud Canadians,) is on the Detroit Tigers at –110 on the money line.