By Greg Dempson
Tonight’s game features a rookie of the year candidate, Tigers starter Michael Fulmer, vs. Royals veteran Yordano Ventura. Fulmer’s making his 22nd start, (16–5) this season with an ERA of 2.69, WHIP of 1.064. When on the road his ERA is 2.56, WHIP of 1.079. He didn’t fare well in his last two starts at home but on August 14th at Texas, (his last road start,) he pitched a complete game allowing only 4 hits in a 7–0 Tigers victory. He has two starts vs. the Royals this season and through 13.7 innings he’s allowed 3 earned runs, (one homer,) while walking 5 vs. 10 strikeouts. In his only start at Kansas City, Fulmer pitched 5.7 innings while allowing only 1 earned run, (with both his starts this season were against Ventura.)
As for Ventura, he is definitely a better pitcher in post All Star games. Ventura has a 19–8 record with an ERA of 2.98 in 40 career starts after the All-Star break, compared to a 17–20 record before the break with an ERA of 4.30. When facing the Tigers Ventura is 2–0 with an ERA of 1.82 in four starts this year. He has never lost to Detroit, with a 6–0 record and an ERA of 2.98 in 10 appearances.
- Yesterday’s big dog play on the Padres at +195 in the first 5 innings lost, (1–0.) My Every Edge MLB record is 32–20–01.
- In the second half of the season Detroit is 19–33 to the under this season with an average combined score of 8.2 RPG.
- The Royals are 01–10 to the under this season after batting .225 or worse during a 10 game span with an average combined score of 6.6 RPG.
- In the second half of the season the Tigers are 14–25 to the under vs. an AL team with an on base percentage .330 or worse this season.
- Kansas City is 19 – 31 to the under this season when the total is 8 to 8.5 runs.
- Detroit’s bullpen has a road ERA of 5.14 while the bullpen of the Royals blew another save last night.
Tigers vs Royals Pick
My Every Edge MLB Selection for this evening is a first 5 innings play on the under, take the Tigers and Royals to stay under the total of 4 runs at +100 in the first 5 innings.
For additional winnings systems, selections and Tweets visit www.gregdempson.com.