By Greg Dempson
My previous Every Edge selection on the Astros was a winner on Wednesday afternoon improving my MLB record to 25–11–01 this season.
So, who is the hottest team in baseball since the All Star game was played? If you answered the Angels you are correct as they’ve won six in a row, with all six games being played at home, sweeping the White Sox and then the Rangers.
As for Houston, they return home from a six game road trip, (all six being post All–Star contests,) to the friendly confines of Minute Maid Park where they are 28–19 this season. Regardless of the venue, Houston has taken eight out of nine vs. the Angels this season. The lone win for the Angels was the first game this season, on May 29th as they defeated the Astros 7–4 with Shoemaker on the mound.
· Lance McCullers gets the start for the Astros, his home ERA is 2.61 and he’s allowed only 12 earned runs in 41.3 innings. McCullers is 1–1 when starting against the Angels with an ERA of 2.35 and a WHIP of 1.109.
· Shoemaker’s road ERA is 5.01 and in his last three games he is 2–1 with an ERA of 3.26. Shoemaker is 2–2 when starting against the Astros with an ERA of 3.11, WHIP 1.168.
Around the Diamonds
· The Astros are 14–7 at home vs. the Angels the past three seasons and 3–0 at home this season with two out of those three staying under the total.
· McCullers is 0–7 to the under at home this season. His last three starts vs. the Angles produced scores of 3–2, 3–4 and 2–3 with the Astros scores noted first and all three contests staying under the total. His 3–2 win was vs. Shoemaker at home.
· Shoemaker has three starts vs. the Astros this season and they produced scores of 2–4, 2–3 and 7–2 with the Angles scores noted first while two out of those three stayed under the total.
Over or Under in the 1st 5 Innings?
· Shoemaker is 2–11 against the money line when the total is 8 to 8.5 over the last two seasons with those 13 games producing an average score of opponent 4.6 vs. 1.9 for a combined average score of 6.5 runs per game.
· Houston is 3–12 to the UNDER this season after 5 or more consecutive road games with an average combined score of 6.5 runs per game.
· The Angels are averaging 4.3 runs per game vs. division teams this season, their lowest when compared to home vs. road games, etcetera.
· McCullers is 0–9 to the UNDER vs. teams that strand 6.9 or less runners per game this season averaging a combined 4.7 runs per game.
· Minute Maid Park is a venue where I’m not keen on playing an under, especially when the O/U is 8 plus the Angles have been hitting well and the home plate umpire is not known as I submit this report.
Angels vs Astros Play
I didn’t wager on this game and have an opinion only on this contest staying under the total of 4 runs in the first 5 innings.
For more plays, systems and information visit www.gregdempson.com