By Greg Dempson
The Cardinals send right hander Carlos Martinez, (9–6 with an ERA of 2.83.) to the mound in the first of a two game double header due to last night’s rain out with the first pitch scheduled for 4:10 ET. Martinez has allowed 3 runs on 8 hits in his last two starts, striking out 16 in 12 innings.
He’s also limited the opposition to 3 runs or less, in each of his last 9 starts going 5–1. His road ERA is 1.71 in seven starts, (WHIP of 1.035.) He has faced the Mets five times, with two starts, Martinez/Team going 2–0 while posting an ERA of 0.00, WHIP of 1.072. He face the Mets at Shea Stadium last year winning 9–0 while allowing no earned runs through 6.3 innings on 4 hits, 2 walks vs. 5 strikeouts. He also faced the Mets at home in 2014 pitching 4 innings, (in a spot start,) allowing 1 unearned run on 2 hits, 4 walks and 3 strikeouts as the Cardinals won (6–2.)
Noah Syndergaard settled for a no decision last Tuesday vs. the Cubs pitching 5.7 innings while allowing one unearned run. He has pitched more than 6 innings only once in his last 5 starts while winning 7 out of his last 9 contests. He is 5–2 at home with an ERA of 2.34, WHIP of 1.005. In his last home start he allowed 3 earned vs. the Nationals in 4.37innings walking 3 and striking out 5. Syndergaard is 0–1 vs. the Cardinals in his one career start, (at Busch Stadium on July 17, 2015.) He allowed 2 earned runs on 5 hits through 7 innings.
Around the Diamonds
· The Cardinals are 11 games above .500 on the road, 27–16, averaging 6.0 RPG and they’re averaging 5.1 RPG vs. righties although getting that type of run support for Martinez will be difficult with Syndergaard on the mound for the Mets.
· As for the Mets, they are 6 games above .500 at home, (26–20,) averaging 3.8 RPG at Shea Stadium.
· The Cardinals are 6–1 and+7.80-units against the money line in road games vs. an NL starting pitcher whose WHIP is 1.150 or better this season.
· Martinez is 16–04 and +11.90-units against the money line vs. an NL team with a team batting average of .250 or worse the last two seasons.
My Every Edge Record In Review
· My last selection on the Giants at +103 on the money line lost Friday evening and my Every Edge MLB record is now 25–12–1. (My Friday evening opinion on the Angles/Astros staying under in the first 5 innings won, (I should-a, could-a, – but didn’t!)
All Systems Go
· Play against any National League team with a starting pitcher whose ERA is 3.70 or better on the season, (applies to playing against the Mets,) when said team is averaging 1.25 or more home runs per game on the season. (NOTE: Cardinals starter Martinez has allowed 1 home run in 47.3 innings when away from home.)
· By playing against the Mets tonight this system is 170–130 = 56.7% the past five seasons, but more importantly +86.50-units of profit.
Cards vs Mets Pick
My Every Edge selection for this first game of a double header is on the St. Louis Cardinals at plus money in the first 5 innings with listed pitchers, Martinez vs. Syndergaard.