By Greg Dempson
Iowa Hawkeyes at Maryland Terrapins
The #3 ranked Iowa Hawkeyes are 7–0 in league play, (winning six of those contests by double figures,) as well as sporting a 16–3 record this season. Tonight they’re in uncharted waters as they visit #8 Maryland for the first time at College Park with the tip set for 7:00 ET on ESPN.
The Terrapins enter tonight’s play off a 75–64 loss at Michigan State this past Saturday. It was exactly two Saturday’s ago that the Hawkeyes manhandled the Spartans on the road, (76–59,) for their second win vs. Michigan State as they previously dispatched of the Spartans on their home floor on December 29th.
Iowa is certainly the hotter of the two teams as they’ve also won 5 games vs. Top 25 teams this season and are on a 9 game winning streak for the first time since the 2005/2005 campaign. As for the Terrapins, (17–03 on the season,) all they have done at home is go 11–0 straight up and it must be noted that Maryland is 9–0 following a straight up loss. If Maryland can impose their interior play vs. Iowa they should come away with a win and cover.
Tip – Ins
· Iowa is 4–13 ATS after two straight games where they made 10 or more 3 point shots.
· Maryland is 57–33 ATS in home games after having won 5 or 6 of their last 7 games.
· After 15+ games, Iowa is 02–10 ATS versus good rebounding teams, out rebounding opponents by 4+ per game.
· After 15+ games, Maryland is 20–08 ATS in home games vs. top caliber teams, outscoring their opponents by 12+ points per game.
· After 15+ games, Iowa’s head coach McCaffery is 09–23 ATS in road games vs. good free throw shooting teams, making 72% or more of their attempts.
· Maryland’s head coach Turgeon is 20–08 ATS vs. excellent 3 point shooting teams that make 41% or more of their attempts in all games he has coached.
· When we play against underdogs of 3.5 to 9.5 points, (up-tempo team averaging 62 or more shots per game on the season,) when playing against an opponent after two straight games while allowing a shooting pct. of 37% or less we are 82 – 43 = 66% ATS since 1997.
Iowa vs Maryland Pick
My Every Edge Game of the Night is on the Maryland Terrapins at –4 points or lower.