By Greg Dempson
The Tigers send Anibal Sanchez to the mound in this 10:05 ET start. Sanchez has been so shaky lately, Rocky Road ice cream should consider hiring him to endorse their product.
J Sanchez has lost six of his last eight starts, including an 0–4 record in his past five games while allowing four or more runs in each start. He’s allowed 6 home runs in his last four starts as well as 11 homers in 53 2/3 innings this season.
Sanchez/Teams are 0–4 in his four starts vs. the Angels. Albert Pujols has one home run vs. Sanchez and is 7 for 22 with a pair of doubles in the all-time matchup. Pujols has been of a hot streak with nine runs batted in through his last eight games including 11 RBI’s in his last eight vs. the Tigers, including an RBI single last night.
In five road starts this season Sanchez has an ERA of 5.59, (WHIP or 1.414,) through 29 innings, so slightly less than 6 innings per road start. When you factor in the Tigers bullpen, (road ERA of 4.72,) it is tough to back the road team tonight.
The Angels counter with Hector Santiago who is 1–4 in seven career vs. Detroit, (Santiago/Team is 3–4,) despite his very respectable ERA of 2.66, (WHIP of 1.303.) Santiago has also been lit up in his last three starts with an ERA of 6.23, (WHIP of 1.231.)
From the Mound
· The Tigers are 3–7 vs. lefties this season averaging 3.7 RPG.
· The Angels highest run output this season is vs. righties as they average 4.7 RPG.
· Sanchez/Teams are 40–60 and -23.40-units vs. the money line when the line is + or –125.
· The Angels have the better bullpen, home ERA of 2.96, WHOP of 1.106.
· The Tigers are 6–21 in their last 27 vs. the Angels including 2–16 in their last 18 in Anaheim.
· Play against all teams when the money line is + or –125 after three consecutive games where they stranded 5 or less runners on base, with a struggling bullpen whose ERA is over 7.00 in their last 5 games. This system is 80–40 = 66.7% the past five seasons and +36.40-units.
My Every Edge selection for this evening is on the Los Angeles Angels at –107 on the money line.
For additional selections and winning systems visit www.gregdempson.com.