by Greg Dempson
The first pitch is scheduled at 10:15 ET at AT&T Park with the Dodgers off a (2-1) win last night. For this evenings contest they send leftie Alex Wood to the mound. Wood has been letting opponents “chop too much wood” this season as his ERA is a lofty 5.40 along with a WHIP of 1.918 while walking 6 batters vs. 10 strike-outs. He’s also been poor on the road going 05-16 and -13.80-units vs. the money line when the total is 7 to 8.5 the last two seasons. Wood has faced the Giants twice in his career and he’s 0-2 with an ERA of 6.30 and a WHIP of 1.800 through 10 innings while allowing 7 earned runs on 15 hits, 3 walks vs. 10 K’s.
Johnny Cueto gets the call tonight for the Giants and his stats re noted below. As a team San Francisco is 17-05 vs. the Dodgers at AT&T Park the past three seasons.
Both teams are o to poor starts, the Dodgers at (10-11,) while the Giants are (07-14.) When facing lefites this season however it’s a different scenario as San Francisco’s 4-4 vs. the money line.
A Lot of Bull vs. a Little Bull
· The Dodgers bullpen has an ERA of 4.94 when on the road with a WHIP of 1.420. In 31 innings they’ve allowed 17 earned runs.
· The Giants bullpen has been solid at home with an ERA of 1.09, WHIP of 0.811 through 24.7 innings allowing only 15 hits, (no home runs,) while walking 5 vs. 26 strike-outs.
Johnny On The Spot
· In 19.3 innings vs. the Dodgers, in 2016, Cueto allowed 3 earned runs on 15 hits, (one homer,) while walking only 3 batters and striking out 20.
· Cueto’s lifetime ERA vs. the Dodgers is 2.74 with a WHIP of 1.085 in 13 appearances, (11 starts.)
· In the first half of the season Cueto is 17-3 and +13.20-units vs. the money line in the past two seasons.
· Cueto is 10-0 and +10.30-units against the money line vs. teams – averaging 0.9 or less home runs per game the last two seasons.
It’s Miller Time
· Bill Miller is tonight’s home plate umpire and when the O/U is 7.5 or lower, the home team is 4-1 in his last 5 behind home.
· The home team is also 4-1 this season with Miller behind home plate.
· The Dodgers are 2-5 in their last seven contests when Miller is behind home plate.
Everyedge.com in Review
· I’m now 3-5 with my MLB selections for this season and -0.56-units.