By Greg Dempson
Neither team has been on top of their game when closing out the regular season as Detroit lost three in a row and that stellar Lions defense was tranquilized when they played the Cowboys, (they lost 42–21,) as well as the Packers, (31–24,) in their final two games. In week 15 they did hold the Giants to 17 points but I note the Giants were one of only two playoff teams that never scored 30 points in a single game this season, (The Texans were the other team.) As for the Seahawks, when Earl Thomas was injured the Seahawks finished the season at 2–2, getting crushed at Green Bay, (38–10,) losing a rare home game vs. a Cardinals team that had a terrible season before defeating the Rams and escaping with a win at San Francisco to close out the season and get a home game.
A Post Christmas “Carroll”
- Since Pete Carroll arrived in 2010 the Seahawks have a home record of 48–13,including playoffs.
- Who has the most playoff wins since 2013? If you answered New England, you are wrong! Seattle has with six post season victories.
- Lions quarterback Matt Stafford was not quite 3 years old the last time Detroit won a post season game, that was back in 1991. They’ve made but two post season appearances since then and lost both games.
- Seattle lost kick return specialist Tyler Lockett, who broke his leg in a game against the Cardinals on December 24. This past Tuesday they signed 34 year old Devon Hester who made a name for himself with the Chicago Bears. Hester holds the NFL record with 20 returns for touchdowns, including a record 14 on punts, 5 on kickoffs and one returned on a missed field goal attempt. He’s lost a step but his experience of “when to and when not to,” is also amplified by his good hands is a definite plus for Seattle.
All Systems Go
- In the second half of the season play on home favorites in the first half, when the host team has a straight up winning record and the host is off a non cover straight up win as a road favorite. This system is 3–0 ATS this season, 10–04 ATS the past three seasons as well as 90–48 = 65% ATS since 1983 when betting on the Seahawks in the first half.
First Half Opinion
Seattle is favored by –5.5. if the first half. If this line was –4 points, I would invest in the Seahawks but with the number at –5.5, I offer up an opinion only on Seattle at –5.5 points or less, in the first half.