by Greg Dempson
There’s a lot on the line tonight in this NIT contest as the winner moves one “traveling step” closer to playing at Madison Square Garden for the NIT Championship trophy. This is the second game of an ESPN double header with the tip time set for 9:00 ET at The Pavilion in Oxford, Mississippi.
Georgina Tech is off an impressive second-half outburst as the Yellow Jackets shot 55.2% in the final 20 minutes vs. Belmont while scoring 41 points in a (71-57) victory. Senior Quinton Stephens is finishing his career on a high note and averaging 18.3 PPG in his last three games including 10 out of 24 from 3 point range. One pleasant surprise has been the defense capabilities of Georgia Tech as they’ve been able to hold teams to 39.5% shooting which ranks them 13th nationally.
The Rebels upset the #1 seeded Orange as Syracuse didn’t have an answer for Terence Davis as he netted six 3-point shots while the team as a whole made 15 from beyond the arc in their (85-80) victory as 8 point underdogs. Sebastian Saiz leads the SEC in rebounding as well as ranking fifth in the nation at 11.3 per contest. He also had his 22nd double-double of the season with 10 points and 12 boards against Syracuse.
The Rebel Yell
· While Billy Idol will not be making an appearance at The Pavilion anytime soon, the home faithful will be hopping and hoping for a third quarter finals appearance since the 2010 NIT tournament.
· These two teams last met in 2013 at the Barclays Center Classic, a (77-67) victory for Ole Miss.
· The Rebels are 17-8 ATS when playing against a team with a winning record this season.
· The Yellow Jackets are 10-23 ATS in road games after covering five or six of their last seven against the spread.
· Ole Miss is 15-04 ATS after playing 3 consecutive games as an underdog.
· Georgia Tech was outscored by 11.7 PPG when on the road this season.
Every Edge in Review
· Wow, the total on that Raptors/Pacers game dropped faster than a hookers clothes in a Nevada brothel. The total was 201.5 and when I clicked onto confirm my wager, the O/U had moved down to 201. I watched it drop as low as 195 at one of my outs and then I went in and bought back half my wager on over 195 hoping for a middle. When the ship is listing that hard to one side, good things rarely happen and the game went over with ease. My Every Edge record in hoops is 10-13 ATS.
I have a top opinion on the home team this evening, my Everyedge.com opinion is to take the Ole Miss Rebels -5 @ -118.