By Greg Dempson
This Western division contest tips at 4:30 ET with the venue being the Golden 1 Center in Sacramento, California.
It was back in 1999 when the artist known as Prince recorded the song, (1999,) and that was the last time Rhode Island made an appearance in March Madness! The 11th seeded Rams of Rhode Island are on a hot streak having won eight consecutive games as well as 12 of 14 to boast a season record of 24-09 a substantial increase to their record when compared to a 12-07 record on January 25th.
Some prognosticators had picked Rhode Island to be a preseason top 25 team, so perhaps it’s not surprising that they’re dancing. Apparently three of their starters are playing well enough to cash in at the next level, the NBA.
As Sherlock Holmes would say, “It’s elementary Watson,” as in point guard Maurice Watson Junior! How important was Watson, (yes, past tense,) well the Bluejays were 18-01 at one stage of the season but since he was felled with a season ending injury, Creighton has gone 7-8. Creighton opened as 2 point favorites but the line is now mostly pick ’em.
· Rhode Island owns an average rebound margin of +2.9.
· Creighton is 1-8-1 ATS in their last 10 tournament games.
· From game 16 out, the Rams are 15-04 ATS in road games vs. teams who make 8 or more 3 point shots per game on the season.
· The Bluejays are 1-6ATS in their last seven games vs. opponents who have a straight up record that’s greater than .600.
· Rhode Island is ranked #3 nationally in defending the 3 point shot, limiting opponents to a success rate of 29%.
· Rams head coach Hurley/Team is 9-1 ATS in road games after a game forcing opponent to commit 8 or less turnovers.
· From game 16 out Bluejays head coach McDermott is 09-19 ATS in road games vs. excellent ball handling teams that commit 12 or less turnovers per game.
Every Edge in Review
· My recommendation on Virginia Tech lost and I’m 09-12 ATS with my Every Edge basketball selections, let’s see if I can climb closer to .500 with today’s selection.