By Greg Dempson
Utah Jazz at Dallas Mavericks
It has been six years and one month since the Jazz last won straight up at Dallas, January 9, 2010 to be exact. When the 2015/2016 season began these two teams met at the American Airlines Center, (November 20,) with the Mavericks laying 1.5 points, a win and cover, (102–93.) The Jazz haven’t been great on the road this season going 8 – 15 straight up while the Mavericks haven’t been spectacular at home either, sporting a 15–10 straight up record.
With tonight’s line being –1.5 points, so, basically a home win should equate to a home cover. Dallas has won 9 of the last 10 vs. the Jazz including five straight home wins. Three players on the Mavs current roster previously played with the Jazz, one of which is Deron Williams, who scored 23 points in that first meeting on November 20. Williams also leads the team in rebounds this season with 246.
The Jazz have been the hotter of the two teams reeling off six consecutive wins, five out of six as a host before starting this road trip at Phoenix with a (98– 89) win to move them back to .500 for the first time since December 9.
Beyond the Arc
· The past three seasons the Mavericks are 60–42 ATS vs. poor pressure teams that force 14 or less turnovers per game.
· The Jazz are 138–176 ATS in road games after playing two consecutive games as favorite since 1996.
· Dallas is 9–1 ATS at home this season after scoring 105 or more points.
· Utah is 3–8 ATS in their last 11 road games.
· Mavericks head coach Carlisle is 119–79 ATS and +32.10-units when they’re playing with two days’ rest.
· The Jazz are 1–6–1 ATS in their last 8 vs. the Mavericks.
· The favorite in this series is 22–08–01 ATS.
· Utah has been playing solid defense and they’ve held their last two opponents to less than 90 points each and are now installed as an underdog. The Mavericks are off a game where each team scored 105 points or more, Dallas won at Memphis 114–110. By playing on Dallas, in this situation, the host team is 106–60 = 64% ATS since 1996.
· I found a book that had the Mavericks at –1.5, so shop around if you’re inclined to play this game.
Utah vs Dallas Pick
My Every Edge selection for this evening is on the Dallas Mavericks at –2 or lower.