By Greg Dempson
Tip time is 11:30 ET on ESPN2 as the #3 seeded Washington Huskies, (who are still playing, only it’s not the big dance but the NIT,) travel to San Diego to take on the #2 seeded Aztecs in a second round match-up. The last time these two teams met, the Huskies made NCAA history as they held SD State to the fewest points in a Division 1 game, (36,) holding them to a shooting percentage of 20.4% in a 49–36 home victory on December 7, 2014. This edition of the Huskies has been firing on all cylinders on offense as they recently dispatched of Long Beach State, (107–102.) Dejounte Murray (30 points,) Marquese Chriss (27) and senior guard Andrew Andrews (25) combined for 82 out of their 102 points in their win over the 49ers.
The Aztecs are solid on the boards with the smallest player in their starting line-up at 6’ 4”. They are slightly hindered as Jeremy Hemsley is still not 100% but will play tonight.
From Beyond the Arc
· Washington has scored 72 or more points in 11 out of their last 12 games including 77 vs. the Ducks.
· Rest equates to rust as the Aztecs are only 4–15 ATS and -12.50-units when playing only their second game in eight days the past two seasons.
· The Huskies are 6–0 ATS in road games after two straight games when making 78% or more of their free throws.
· The past two seasons San Diego State is 8–17 ATS and -10.70-units after allowing 25 points or less in the first half in their last game.
· From game 16 out Washington is 8–1 ATS in road games vs. teams who average 6 or less steals per game.
· San Diego State is 9–20 ATS and -13.0-units after a game where they covered the spread the last two seasons.
Washington vs San Diego State Pick
I anticipate a tightly contested game so I’ll take the points tonight and back the Washington Huskies as my Every Edge Game of the Night. I’m on the Huskies at +6 -117.