By Greg Dempson
Xavier vs Providence
The last time the Providence Friars were in the American Press poll for nine consecutive weeks was way back in the 1977–1978 season. With signature victories vs. #18 Butler at home, (71–68,) and an even more impressive win vs.
Villanova on the road last week, (82–76,) as a 12.5 point dog. When playing away from home this season Xavier is 7–1 straight up with that lone loss by 31 points at Villanova, (95–64,) so Providence is certainly capable of winning this game straight up.
So, tonight it’s #8 Xavier vs. #10 Providence with the tip slated for 8:30 ET on Fox Sports 1. This will be the first time the Friars have been in the top 10 and hosting an opponent that is also in the top 10 in the history of the Dunkin’ Donuts Center.
Tip – Ins
· Utilizing three sets of power ratings I make this line favoring the host team at –2.5.
· When comparing strength of schedule the edge goes to the Friars.
· The Friars won their last two at home vs. the Minutemen, (69–66) and (81–72.)
· Providence is 18–09 ATS vs. poor pressure defensive teams, forcing 14 or less turnovers per game the last two seasons.
· The Friars are on a 7–2 ATS run vs. the Big East.
· Coach Cooley has been able to keep his team focused following an upset underdog win as the Friars are 17–06 ATS in this spot.
· From game 16 out coach Cooley is11–02 ATS in home games versus good rebounding teams, out rebounding opponents by 4+ per game.
Xavier vs Providence Pick
My Every Edge College Game of the Night is on the Providence Friars at +1 or pick ’em.