By Greg Dempson
The Yankees send Nathan Eovaldi to the mound to face leftie Drew Smyly in this 6:10 ET start. Eovaldi has allowed a total of 3 runs on 11 hits in 12 innings in his last two starts walking 4 and striking out 7. When facing the Rays he has struck out 20 in 3 career outings while walking 8 through 18.7 combined innings. In his most recent start vs. the Rays on May 29 he allowed 1 run on 6 hits through 6 innings in a 2–1 victory. All three have stayed under the total, 2–1, 3–2 and 4–2 with all three contests played since May 12, 2015. Eovaldi’s ERA vs. the Rays is 3.86, WHIP of 1.340. In his two road starts at Tropicana Field he has not allowed a home run.
Drew Smyly gets the call for the Rays. He went 6 innings in his last start at Oakland allowing 1 earned run on 1 hit while walking 1 and striking out 1 batter. Smyly has pitched well enough at home but he/Team is 2–6 and in those eight starts his ERA is 4.87 with a WHIP of 1.104. In 48 innings he has allowed only 40 hits while walking 13 and striking out 54. Lifetime vs. the Yankees Smyly/Team is 3–1 and in his last three starts vs. the Yankees he has pitched 20 combined innings allowing only 5 earned runs on 14 hits, 3 walks vs. 20 strikeouts. Smyly has allowed 1 home run at home vs. the Pin-Stripes and his ERA is 2.08, WHIP 0.808.
Yesterday’s selection on the Athletics/Indians under 4 runs at +100 in the first 5 innings was a (1–0) winner. My MLB record at Every Edge is now 28–12–01.
Around the Diamonds
· When pitching vs. the Yankees, Smyly has held them to a .168 batting average.
· The Yankees average 3.7 RPG vs. lefties this season and 3.2 RPG vs. division opponents.
· The Rays are 16–32 to the under at home this season.
· The Yankees are 08–24 to the under vs. division opponents this season.
· Tampa Bay is 05–16 to the under this month.
· New York is 07–22 to the under vs. terrible speed teams , (averaging 0.35 or less stolen bases per game this season.)
· The Rays are 05–19 to the under and +13.30-units in home games vs. American League teams allowing 4.7 or less runs per game this season.
· Nathan Eovaldi is 22–41 to the under and+15.70-units in the second half of the season.
· Tampa Bay is 04–15 to the under and +10.40-units in home games vs. an AL team with a team batting average of .255 or worse this season.
· The two teams are 2–8 to the under in their last 10 at Tropicana Field.
Yankees vs Rays Pick
My Every Edge selection is for the New York Yankees and the Tampa Bay Rays to stay under the total of 4 runs in the first 5 innings at –110.